Sunday 28 September 2008

To hardware or not to hardware, that is the dilemma

We have been in our flat for almost 1 year now. My printer is still precariously perched on the last remaining (and still unpacked) box from our epic move. It is not the most stylish piece of furnishing I have ever entertained in my lounge.

So yesterday (on the holy sleep late Saturday) I convinced the other half that it's the perfect day to go wood shopping. This due to the fact that the other half is exceptionally handy when it comes to building/fixing/over-complicating things and I have not been allowed to buy myself a much needed little table as he wants to build me one. Hence my sudden insistence yesterday when I set sight yet again on the hideousness that is my "table" that we go not tomorrow, not next week, but NOW.

This was a very VERY bad idea (note to self to learn to love hideous temporary furniture). I'm not sure how I managed to forget, but somewhere along they way I conveniently blocked past excruciating experiences from memory. Other half is like kid on a glucose drip in Disneyland when exposed to any form of hardware/DIY/hobby shop. I created a monster.

We were simply buying wood for a small little printer table. That is it. How long would a reasonable person expect to take to complete such a silly little task? 10min? 20min? maybe half an hour if you're a bit indecisive about the exact shade of pine?

It took us 3 hours. Who knew paint guns could be so enthralling, paint stripper so intriguing, rotors (no, I have no idea what that is even after other half waxed lyrical about it f) so mesmerising? I eventually hauled a 5l paint can off the shelf and fashioned myself a little bench as the memories suddenly came flooding back of endless waits in hardware stores.

But I daresay we now have wood and glue (I will have you know that you NEVER hammer when you can glue and screw....erm, ok then) aplenty. All I need now is for other half to assemble said table instead of spending the day on couch with book.

But this here is the picture that won he "open" category in my camera club as mentioned on Thursday's blog (I think), but I would like to reiterate that there was a much worthier winner (out of the 6 entries), as this picture I have many faults with starting with the ridiculous piece of green leaf in the corner...

4 comments:

Antler said...

Oh - the DIY......how I know what it is to have a 'handy' partner!

Actually it's one of the things I should add to my 'don't do anymore' list....I am perfectly capable - can use a multiplicity of hand and power tools.....but either way - them or me...so much less stress to buy from auction - or failing that, flatpack!!!

Karin said...

I feel very sorry for you. I have spent many wasted hours of my life waiting for Henk to just MAKE THE PURCHASE ALREADY!!
I love the shot though - I like the light shining through the outer leaves and the tiny bit of green is hardly noticeable!

Ann said...

Aaaah tell me about DIY my partner is a builder.......great I hear you cry, you lucky thing........nooooo, customers work finished to perfection from new build to renovation, me, completely different story....nothing finished plenty started....new wood floor ..started last January, unfinished, attic conversion started 10 years ago unfinished I could go on ...but hey "we love 'em" love the rose.. and the green leaf doesnt really detract from the overall subject, in my view :-) and I like the light falling on the outer petals... congrats on the shot.

Unknown said...

LOL, sounds familiar, I have a half painted pool! Beat that :)
Love the shot, with the light yellows, very pretty